Carilion Clinic has been providing advanced surgical care for cardiac and thoracic surgery patients in western Virginia for more than 30 years. Our heart and thoracic surgeons use the least invasive methods to achieve the best possible outcome for every patient. Many complex surgeries can now be performed using a minimally invasive approach, decreasing the risks of complications and allowing patients to heal faster.
Carilion is not only committed to investing in the latest surgical technology, such as video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (also known as VATS), but also to ensuring that our doctors are experts at using it. Our heart, thoracic, and vascular surgeons have more experience than any others in our area, having thus far performed more than 21,000 heart and lung procedures.
Cardiothoracic surgery is the medical specialty that encompasses surgical procedures involving the organs inside the thorax (chest). Heart surgery, vascular surgery, which involves the vessels and arteries of the heart, and lung surgery are included in this specialty. At Carilion, our cardiac, vascular and cardiothoracic surgeons work hand-in-hand to deliver patient-centered, highly coordinated care.
Among the minimally invasive cardiac procedures we offer are:
- Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Bypass (MIDCAB)
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass (OPCAB)
- Robotic Assisted Coronary Artery Bypass (RACAB)
- Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS)
- Minimally Invasive MAZE Surgery for Atrial Fibrillation
- Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery
- Learn about ECMO treatment provided by Carilion Clinic
- da Vinci® Cardiac Surgery