Video: Aubrey Knight, M.D. discusses how Carilion’s experienced hospice team helps patients and their families cope with end-of-life care.
At the end of life, when the important things like family and faith come into focus, you can trust that Carilion Clinic Hospice, in Virginia, will support you and those close to you. This is a challenging but deeply meaningful period. Our experienced and compassionate caregivers are here to provide comfort care, to meet the needs of the entire family, and to help all experience the rewarding moments in this part of life's journey.
Carilion hospice patients often include people with:
- Advanced cancer
- Advanced heart, kidney, liver or lung disease
- Advanced neuromuscular disease
- End-Stage Alzheimer's
Hospice differs from traditional health care. Our focus is not on curing a person who is ill. Instead, we emphasize patient comfort and provide family support. From helping family members learn to care for loved ones to providing support services for pet care, we're here to help.
WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME FOR HOSPICE?
Doctors remain closely involved with all patients during their time in hospice, which may be appropriate for people of any age (including infants and children) who:
- Face life-limiting illness
- Have a life expectancy of six months or less, if the illness runs its usual course
- Wish to focus on quality of life
- Want interdisciplinary care of the patient and family who is facing a chronic or terminal illness with a focus primarily on comfort and support (palliative care)
- Do not want aggressive, curative therapy
Requesting Hospice Care
A doctor's referral is required to enter the hospice program. Once that has been obtained, Carilion will work with you to schedule a convenient time to visit and initiate your hospice care.
Cost of Care
Hospice care may be covered by Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance.