While breastfeeding comes naturally to some new moms, for others it may feel awkward and become frustrating. At this wonderful time, moms may need guidance and support with breastfeeding.
Our lactation consultants at The Birthplace are trained and certified to help mothers breastfeed successfully — giving newborns the best start possible.
We are available to all new moms (and not–so–new moms), whether or not they delivered their babies at The Birthplace at Carilion New River Valley Medical Center (CNRV).
Lactation consultants and specialists are healthcare providers who possess the necessary skills, knowledge and attitudes to facilitate breastfeeding. With a focus on preventive healthcare, lactation consultants encourage self–care and parental decision–making prenatally and postnatal (before and after birth).
At CNRV, our internationally board certified lactation consultants are specially trained to help moms with breastfeeding. An international board certified lactation consultant has been recognized by six medical agencies, including the American Medical Association and La Leche League International.
To schedule appointments, call 540-731-2267.
- Daily inpatient consults can be scheduled from 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Personalized outpatient breastfeeding consults are available seven days a week, by appointment only. We make a follow–up report to your baby's pediatrician.
- Returning–to–work consults are available on breast pump selection and use. One–on–one, we will discuss practical guides for working and nursing your baby.
Supplies and Electric Breast Pump Rentals
A wide variety of high–quality breastfeeding supplies from Medela, Bravado and other vendors are available through our lactation consultants. Our electric breast pumps can be purchased or rented on a weekly or monthly basis. Call 540-731-2267 for more information and rental fees.
Breastfeeding Information Class
- “Preparation for Breastfeeding” — call 800-422-8482 for dates, times and to register.
- Learn the advantages of breastfeeding for mother, baby and family.
- Learn techniques and guidelines for successful breastfeeding.
- Become aware of common problems and solutions.
When to Call for Help
Before your baby is born, call The Birthplace lactation consultants at 540-731-2267 if:
- You have flat or inverted nipples.
- You tried to nurse before but had problems.
- You want to nurse your adopted baby.
- You have questions or concerns about any aspect of breastfeeding.
- You need assistance selecting a bra to fit your personal needs during breastfeeding.
After the baby is born, call The Birthplace lactation consultants at 540-731-2267 if:
- Your baby refuses to breastfeed.
- You experience pain while nursing.
- Your baby is not having at least three to four bowel movements in each 24–hour period.
- Your baby is sleepy and hard to wake up.
- You feel that your milk supply is low.
- Your baby is not gaining weight appropriately.
- You intend to return to work or school and need guidance.
- You need help selecting breast pumps and nursing bras.
- You need assurance that breastfeeding is going smoothly.
- You've decided to stop breastfeeding and need guidance.
Lactation Consultants at The Birthplace
Rhonda Moore, L.P.N., I.B.C.L.C., C.B.F.
Melissa Gautier, L.P.N., I.B.C.L.C.
Wenona Scott, R.N.C., I.B.C.L.C.
Kate Brennan, R.N.C., M.S., I.B.C.L.C., C.B.F.
Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
2900 Lamb Circle, Entrance 2
Christiansburg, VA 24073