Students wanting rotations with residency faculty at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital must meet the prerequisites on the previous page and, by the time of the rotation, be a fourth-year student who has completed their schools' core rotations.
Before applying for electives/selectives, you need to know the following.
- All our programs, except for Surgery*, reserve July through January rotations for students interested in applying for audition electives with their programs. So before applying during audition months, determine whether or not you meet that particular program's minimum residency criteria. Click on Graduate Education & CME, click on the residency page, and then click 'Applying' at the top of the left column. Find the program's residency criteria, if listed, or email the available link to ask. (*Surgery does not place inherent value in "audition" rotations and will consider applications from students not necessarily pursuing residency in surgery.)
- Students interested in audition rotations should know that our residency programs sponsor only J1 Visas.
- You may not take time off on the scheduled arrival date, even for interviews.
- You may participate in up to 8 weeks during a 12-month period.
- Insure that your school will accept our evaluation form instead of your school's form.
Before applying for or emailing about July 2015 - June 2016 Electives, click the appropriate link below for prerequisites and date restrictions in the course description. If you choose to apply, students whose schools are VSAS members must apply through VSAS, and all others must use the application listed. Applications on other forms will be not be permitted. Applications are accepted April 1 or after and are considered on a first-completed-first-served basis. We offer electives to visiting students only after our own students have been assigned. We will send notifications afterwards.
Completed applications must be received 45 days prior to the anticipated start date.
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Orthopaedic/MSK Surgery
See the Attendance Policy.
Housing & Transportation
Students must provide their own housing and transportation.
- We DO NOT ACCEPT e-mailed, faxed or scanned applications, applications that students mail directly to us, or applications arriving fewer than 45 days prior to arrival.
- We cannot process applications missing information or documentation.
- The ONLY immunization record we accept is the Carilion Immunization Record.
- Some documentation listed in Section II of the Application are the student's responsibility. Confirm with your school what documentation the school will send and include the rest with your application before sending it to your school.
- Retain a copy of all paperwork for future reference.
- Our process is described in the application cover letter.
On rare occasions, circumstances necessitate dropping a confirmed rotation, however, students are expected to honor their commitments once rotations are confirmed.