The Roanoke-based Breast Care Center's Diagnostic Center offers a compassionate, integrated team using advanced technologies.
Our diagnostic services include:
- Nurse navigation – We provide a dedicated advanced practice nurse to support women through diagnosis and treatment, serving as a care coordinator
- Next-day biopsy results – Greater than 95 percent of biopsies are diagnosed by the next day
- Weekly cancer treatment planning conferences – Every breast cancer diagnosis in our center is reviewed by an interdisciplinary team to determine the best course of treatment
- Weekly benign correlation conferences – Benign findings are reviewed each week by an interdisciplinary team that correlates pathology and imaging results for a second reading
- Large format pathology – Large format histology shows the extent of breast disease
- Bracketing procedure – This approach has been shown to decrease the need for re-excision and aims to lower the rate of breast cancer recurrence
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – This advanced technology allows for precisely targeted treatment
The Breast Care Suite at Carilion New River Valley Medical Center also offers the diagnostic services of digital mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy and ultrasound. The suite is designed for the convenience and comfort during these examinations. A nurse navigator is part of the care team of technicians and specially trained radiologists, helping support and coordinate services for patients.